What moderate to severe autism looks like for us, today.



So much has changed in such a short time for Timothy I'm having a hard time catching my breath. 

Last week was hard.  I learned Timothy is being discharged from IBI therapy which has been his second home for almost 18 months.  Not so much the hard part.  The hard part was reading he was in the bottom 1 % of 100 of his peers.  Ohhhh did that hurt my heart...........a general blanket of numbness came over me as it sunk in.  Yes this is real.  Its not going away any time soon.  And even as I felt it wash over me I was calm.  I knew these things already, yes.  Not surprised, no. 

I know my son and I know his struggles are real and not buzz words.

I know that when he tries to print his name, today he can't, and that's ok.

I know that when he tries to make it to the toilet, sometimes he can't, and that's ok.

I know that when he tries to fit in he won't today, and that's ok.

I know that when he tries to eat "other" foods, today he can't, and that's ok.

I know that when he tries to tie his shoes , today he can't, and that's ok.

I know that when he tries to do everyday kid things, today he can't, and that's ok.

I know that when he rides the bus (aye, it tis the short one folks) he wears a harness to keep him safe, today, and that's ok.

I know that at seven years old, he wears diapers still, today, and that's ok.

Here's what else I know about my son.....

 
I know he feels happiness today and that's ok.
 
I know he feels loved today and that's ok.
 
I know he tries today and that's ok.
 

Maybe tomorrow he can do something he can't today.  Maybe not.  I am ok with that, either way.

  We live for today and what he can do.  This is what Timothy's autism looks like.  How about yours?


Love comin atcha from my house to yours,
Trish.



10 comments:

  1. I saw that you have no comments, and I just wasn't okay with that. I have two younger brothers. One of which is AU-SOME as well. He is now 22, but reading your post brought me WAY back to the 90's when my mother experienced the same triumphs and struggles. It gets better, it gets magical, it gets rewarding, and best of all it gets surprising. How one day something can change and all of a sudden a switch as flipped within your child, and you have come to development milestone and you want to shout from the roof tops.

    Much love and support Trish. YOU ARE AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful! You are a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an amazing mother! and really go above and beyond for your beautiful children!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A mother knows best. No one else knows quite like you do. Sometimes seeing things written in black and white hurts more, but you know he is doing his best and that is all you ask. That is all he needs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "He feels happiness" and that's what every parent want for their children :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a 14 year old son with autism and I understand alot of what you are experiencing. I also cried, grieved, and felt like there was no hope. It hurt me when other people and even family, not really understanding autism, would say things like "those kids are geniouses". They assumed that every kid with autism could be like Einstein. As you explain autism is not the same for everyone, each child is unique and beautiful in his own special way. As for our family we have learned to celebrate and appreciate every milestone and the enormous effort it takes for him to reach them. I try as best I can to treat him equally as his brother and sister and I think he appreciates it very much. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This brought tears to my eyes!!! I have an ASD son who is 6. He rides the "special" bus, doesnt talk much, struggles writting and reading. He also is not potty trained. Sometimes my heart breaks for him but today he got of the bus laughing and smiling and kissed his baby sister! I know he is ok :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This brought tears to my eyes!!! I have an ASD son who is 6. He rides the "special" bus, doesnt talk much, struggles writting and reading. He also is not potty trained. Sometimes my heart breaks for him but today he got of the bus laughing and smiling and kissed his baby sister! I know he is ok :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What else can i say rather than to thank Doctor Osemu who God used to reunite my marriage. Each day of my life, i ask God to bless Dr. Osemu for he has made my life complete by bringing back my husband to me and for this reason, i made a vow to my self that i will testify on the internet to let the world know that Dr. Osemu is a God on Earth. My husband and i had a fight for three days which led to our divorce. On this faithful day, i came across a testimony of how Dr. Osemu helped a lady in getting back her lover. So, i contacted him and explained to him and he told me that my days of sorrows are over that my husband will come back to me within 12 to 16 hours for he's going to prepare a spell for me. Could you believe it, my husband came home begging that he needs me back. Do you need any kind of help? Contact him now via email: ( Doctorokpamenspelltemple@hotmail.com ), Website: http://doctorokpamenpowerfulspelltemple.webs.com, call and whats App him via +2348135254384 OR for more confirmation call or text me on my cell# +1 (914) 517-3229. Becky Nolan USA.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for your miracle Doctor Osemu Okpamen

    This article is dedicated to the Doctor Osemu Okpamen. I have been married with my wife for 5 years and recently she broke up with me and it hurt me deeply when she told me to leave her alone and that she does not love me anymore when i was always faithful and honest to her. I tried all the ways to get her back buying her what she wants like i always did and she still left me heart broken and she even has a new boyfriend which destroyed me even more until a friend of mine from high school directed me to this genuine spell Doctor called Osemu Okpamen. This man changed my life completely. I followed everything he told me to do and my wife came back begging for me back. I was stunned everything happened exactly like he told me. I had faith in everything he told me and everything was true. Also he was there every moment until i got my happiness back and he also provides spells that cures impotence, bareness, diseases such as HIV/AID E.T.C You can contact him via email at { Doctorokpamenspelltemple@yahoo.com } or visit his website http://www.doctorokpamenspells.com. He will help you in anything you need and quick to answer once you contact him or call me for more info +1 (914)-517-3229.

    ReplyDelete