The quick and dirty...............
The realization that T will be discharged from therapy in only a few weeks has begun to sink in and new worries have begun to form like bubbles in our mixing pot of life.
- What new behaviours will appear? (Please T, don't hit your teacher or EA this year...)
- Will old ones come back? (fingers crossed the eight ball says no and he doesn't overhear any curse words in the next week....)
- How will he do in school five days per week as opposed to two?
- Will his new teacher "get" him? Will anyone?
- Good Lord I have to go through this IEP again....explain his quirks again...explain why his lunchbox contains only popcorn and juice boxes some days because that is all he's eating at the moment......my head throbs thinking of it all some times....
- Will I become that Mom? The Mom that the teachers dislike because she appears overbearing and in the way....the Mom that looks like she's been through the zombie apocalypse and back and is just hanging on by a thread(or her coffee cup or wine glass:)....the Mom who is constantly apologizing for her kid disrupting the class and sending in chocolates and coffee and booze (oh yes) to make up for it...the Mom who just wants her kid to be seen as all the other kids; in a nutshell.
I don't spend every waking minute worrying, cause if I did well, I wouldn't have time for anything else, especially the good stuff.............the hugs, the smiles, the connection with my kid. That's all that matters in the end anyway, the moments that define you that happen every day. If you don't stop to appreciate them for what they are you'll blink and miss them.
Off my soapbox for now...............
Trish and Timothy. xo